This will be a short update. I am absolutely exhausted! I will post a much more detailed blog later. Thanks for your understanding.
Katy was still bleeding this morning. They sent her to nuclear medicine to track down where she was bleeding. Luckily, the blood was coming from an artery and NOT seeping through her stomach lining. She then went to IR (intervention radiology), and they embolized the artery. Simply, they put a wire up her femoral artery and coiled off the bleeding artery with titanium wire. They then ran contrast dye to make sure it wasn’t still bleeding. There is still a possibility of more of these (not uncommen). They left the sheath in her leg so they could evaluate her, and quick fix if anything else starts to bleed. If no problems occur in the next day or two, then they will remove the sheath.
I also addressed a concern of mine. I was under the impression that she should be done with her course of antibiotics. It turns out that EVERy time she goes in for a procedure, they zero out her order and restart it. In the morning I am meeting with the doctors to find out exactly when she should be (or have been) done with the antibiotics.
Also, I am addressing whether or not she should be getting treatment for menopause due to the removal of her ovaries. As she has been in bed for a month, I am worried that her bones will become brittle. With rehab in the near future, I want to make sure we are fully prepared.
I would also like for you to all send a prayer to the Strickland family. Their 21 year old son, Cody, passed last weekend in the BICU. I had the pleasure of meeting the family, and was there when they had to make their toughest decision. James and his family had to what no parent should ever have to do. I pray that they may find peace. Thank you, in advance, for adding them to our prayers.
Love to all,